Thursday, August 7, 2014

Ashley's House Update

Hey y’all! I hope everyone is having a fab week! Thank goodness for it almost being the weekend! Are y’all as jealous as I am that Caroline is having the time of her life right now in Turks and Caicos? As she was texting gorgeous pictures yesterday, I thought "a girl can dream!" Andrew and I were supposed to join them in Turks, but we declined as we were trying to save for a house. 
Today is going to be a a totally different post than usual. I hate to change the mood because I’d rather be living in a vacay world right now, but several of you have been asking lately about what’s going on with our house, so I wanted to give y’all a house update. I first want to thank y’all for your previous comments regarding my husband and I purchasing our lot. Your love and support means everything me to!  A lot has changed since previous posts. With anything in life, everything is subject to change. Back at that point a few months ago, I probably shared our news too soon, but I was just too excited not to share. Honestly, we didn’t see any problems going wrong with the lot, so I didn’t really have any reservations. To bring you up to speed, we had an architect design our house plans, which was way harder than I evert truly expected! So many decisions, and because my husband and I are both in the residential/commercial construction industry, it was even more pressure on us because we are aware of everything that is available. Once that stressful process was complete, we put an offer on “our” lot back in June, and it was accepted. We were overwhelmed with joy that our dream to build a house in the “perfect” location was coming true! We knew that we were under contract and wouldn’t close for 30 days, so it wasn’t quite a done deal, but pretty close. Apparently, lot surveys are not available until you actually “buy” the house. Long story short, we found out that the neighborhood sanitary line was right smack down the middle of our perfect lot. No bueno. In addition to it possibly taking MONTHS to even relocate the line, it would cost a pretty penny….roughly $30k. We went back and forth with the seller trying to get them to pay for the issue because this information wasn’t initially disclosed, and we wouldn’t have offered if we had known. Also, even if we did move the line, we would have to adjust our house plans because the line would then decrease the size of the lot, so we’d have to build a smaller home. To us, the lot is not “buildable,” but the seller didn’t see eye to eye with us on that. Although we believe they will have a very difficult time finding a new buyer due to all of the above issues, we then decided it wasn’t for us. After many, many sleepless nights and stressful days, we made one of the hardest decisions, and we pulled our contract. 
I can’t put into words how disappointing the situation is, and I wouldn’t wish it upon anyone. We are just so ready to be in house of our own, and we know it will just now be a longer process. We have spoken with our realtor and we are keeping every option open. As much as we would love to build right now, we are looking at existing houses as well. We may or may not be as picky in selecting an existing house, but this is because we had already picked out each.and.every.single.item for our “perfect house,” which an existing house will not offer.  There are a few lots and houses that are of interest at the moment, but I dare to share because I don’t want to get my hopes up. 
We will find a home that is perfect for us. It might take longer than expected, but I know God has a plan. Again, thank you for your support and thoughts! I know this post is very unusual for me, as most of them are a little bit more glamorous, but I wanted to give y’all my raw and real thoughts. Come back and visit tomorrow to get an update on Caroline’s swanky vacay! 

Have a great day, y'all! 

don't miss one minute of fun ~ follow along!
{gfc} :: {bloglovin} :: {instagram} :: {pinterest}


  1. Aww what a bummer, but I totally feel you! I can't believe the seller wasn't willing to budge. It's that kind of thing in the home buying/building market that makes my blood boil! Best wishes for the future!

  2. oh, how very disappointing! but the right place will come along, with a better seller ;)

  3. wow! such disappointing news but i really believe everything happens for a reason and it WILL work out eventually!! dont lose hope. xo jillian - cornflake dreams


I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...